Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Miserly Moms!


Last week, I was excited to hear Jonni McCoy, author of Miserly Moms, on a two day broadcast on Focus on the Family. If you missed it, I encourage you to listen to it here.

I've always had a saver mentality. I remember as a kid, I'd find an item I wanted at the store and then save up my quarters each week until I had the money to purchase it. However, her book was my first venture into truly learning how to keep a frugal home. I don't exactly remember how old I was when I bought it (probably getting ready to head to college), but I do remember how proud I was that I got a deal by buying the book on frugality used!


I read through it cover to cover. I learned was that it was possible to make convenience foods from scratch. It never occurred to me to try and make my own ketchup, sauces, or pancake syrup. I didn't know you could make baby wipes! I still rely on her cream of soup mix. I learned how to set a grocery plan, keep a price notebook and not assume everything at a warehouse store is cheaper. In addition to cutting the grocery budget, she gives tips on lowering your electricity and other household bills.

The negative reviews on Amazon share that this book is too basic, and the tips are common knowledge for people who have already studied or read tips on frugal living. Reading it again, I agree this book is most helpful for people just learning how to live on a tighter budget.

But, even though I've read it more than once, I still love to read through it again. First, it reinforces that it is possible for a family to live on one income. During the Focus on the Family broadcast, Jonni reminded viewers that before she chose to stay at home with their son, she didn't live a frugal mindset. They lived off half her income, and as she notes in her book "some yuppie amenities such as...kona coffee flown in from Hawaii, and weekends at a bed and breakfast on the coast." When she decided to stay at home, she realized either she cut the budget in half, or she and her husband move out of the big city of San Francisco, buy a house in the country, and require her husband to drive 2 hours each way to work! Determined, she cut their budget in half. She and her family still take vacations and have nice things, just not as much and not as often. Second, as much as I have learned about frugal living, it is still good to reinforce the basics and remind myself of ways I can be more mindful of my budget!

Jonni McCoy's Miserly Moms definitely Works for Me.

(ps, this is my first time participating in a Works for Me Wednesday hosted by Kristen at We Are That Family. Each week, there are a wide variety of helpful tips and how-tos.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. I haven't read this book, but it sounds interesting. I'll keep an eye out for it! We're evaluating pros and cons of one-income.

Cindi said...

Hey Krista!
Thanks for your sweet comments on my snowmen and sorry for not getting back sooner. To answer your questions:
1. The stocking cap is a piece of fleece cut 10 x 18 inches. To make the cap, place the fleece horizontally in front of you and run a thin line of hot glue along the long edge closest to you and fold that over just to cover the glue...this will give the top of your cuff a clean smooth edge. After that cools, run another thin line of hot glue on top of the folded edge and fold that piece over 1-1 1/2 inches to form the cuff of the hat. Now turn the folded edge away from you and cut "fringe" about 3 1/2 to 4 inches up from the bottom...see the pic where Susan in the blue tiger shirt is cutting her fringe. Now take your snowman and run a small line of glue across his forehead and place the middle of the fleece piece over the glue (cuff side out). Now flip him over and run another line of glue across the back and fold in one side and run another line on top of that fleece and fold the other side over on top of that. If either side is too big just cut a little strip of it off. Next take a piece of satin thin ribbon...the kind that is 50 cents a roll at Michael's and use that to tie a double knot to form the fringe part. Hint: We strung the bells and buttons onto the ribbon before tieing...and we also put the piece of greenery behind it too to secure it. The star is hot glued on the middle snowman.
2. Hmm, the nose...the inspiration one had thiers painted on but I knew it would be too much for my friends....they are limited in their craftyness but shh, keep that between us! Anyway, I found in Michael's on the bottom of the sheets of felt rack this starched felt that had glitter on it. I just cut out a nose and then ran the edges across a permanent ink pad to give the nose dimension. Then we just hot glued it on. To be honest, I like it better than painting it on and not because it was my idea...I think it looks more real. I recommend picking up a fine paint pen to do the eyes and mouth...it worked perfectly....just becareful you don't push on the paint pen to release paint while it's on the snowman...sometimes they tend to release a big drop of paint. We did it on a paper plate and used the pen as a quill and dipped it into the ink drop. Good luck and please email me if you make these...I would LOVE to see them!

SnoWhite said...

I haven't read the book, but it sounds interesting.

Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad you're enjoying the cartoon links -- they are some of my Christmas favorites :)

SnoWhite said...

really, 25 days of Christmas on Hulu?!?! Thanks for letting me know!

SnoWhite said...

Hi Krista,

Sorry I keep leaving comments here -- just not sure how else to get back to you.


Thanks for stopping by and for your comment on the doughnut recipe.

Blessings!

SnoWhite