
Last week's big challenge was Friday's Crockpot Rotisserie Chicken. This was my first attempt at cooking the chicken in a crockpot. I have a few observations.
1. My crockpot (4-5qt) seems large for the two of us, but I purchased a 2.6lb chicken and that was just large enough. I planned to wrap a few potatoes in the foil balls to place below the chicken. When I tried, the chicken didn't fit. So, I just stuck with 4-5 balls of foil.
2. I was nervous about overcooking the chicken. The recipe said 4-6 hours, but some commenters mentioned theirs finished early. So, I baby-sat that guy and tested it with my thermometer after two hours, three hours, and 3.5 hours. I let it go to the 4, but should have pulled it after 3 hours and 45 minutes as four was too long....190 degrees. By then the meat was falling off the bones and the breast meat was just a bit too dry. However, the dark meat was quite flavorful, and I appreciated how the aluminum balls held up the chicken and let all the meat drip to the bottom. I shredded the breast meat, and turned it into sandwiches.
3. I don't know if I'll make this again. It was easy, but the smell of cooking meat in that hot heat was rather strong. I just might have to get used to that.
Here's this week's menu.
Monday: Labor Day. We had company over and served meatloaf with honey glazed carrots, and Kelli's foolproof buttermilk biscuits.
Tuesday: I'm finally getting to the Perfect Every Thyme Grilled Chicken. It is marinating as I type and my husband is planning on grilling it shortly.
Wednesday: Beef Stroganoff (I use the recipe from Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)
Thursday: Leftovers.
Friday: I planned to make Taste of Home's Butterflied Pork Chops. It is a delicious autumn dish that I made last year for our anniversary. However, after reading Laura's post, I think I'm going to try the Honey-Soy Pork Chops instead. Grilling season will end soon, and it is going to be warm again this week. I have to take advantage of the sunny days!
Saturday: Hashbrowns for Breakfast. And I cannot go wrong with Best Chicken Ever for dinner!
Sunday: Leftovers/FFY
Sunday: Leftovers/FFY
For more menus visit Laura's at I'm an Organizing Junkie.com!

No comments:
Post a Comment